Maghull: 0151 440 2 440 Corby: 01536 666 666

Are the Council or Housing Association ignoring your requests for repairs to be made to your rented house or flat?

Housing Disrepair, what does it mean and what can I do to get the Council or Housing Association to do the repairs?


If you rent a house or flat from the Council or Housing Association and they are delaying repairs, you can claim compensation for any inconvenience, lack of comfort and security in your own home, and sometimes even for contracting a chronic illness or other health impairment. . You need to know that the Council and Housing Association are legally obligated to keep the rented property in technically sound condition.

What is a property negligence repair claim?

Bad housing compensation is a type of lawsuit in which a tenant takes legal action against the Council or who, as landlords, fail to act to remedy existing problems. The scope of work and problems is listed later in the article.

If you have reported the problems to your landlord (Council or Housing Association) and given them enough time to make the necessary repairs but still have not done so, or are making poor standard repairs, then the right thing to do is to make a claim. Such proceedings will also speed up and improve the quality of the work performed. Under no circumstances do you have to accept degrading or unhealthy living conditions.

What is the law on poor housing?

It can be quite frustrating when the Council or Housing Association fail to fix faults or damage to your home. All Council and Housing Associations have a legal obligation to ensure that the structure of their property is maintained at an appropriate level. All necessary repairs should be done before renting the property.

The landlord’s obligations to the tenant are set out in a number of laws, namely the LTA – Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. This Act applies to rentals that were entered into after 1961. In summary, section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. dictates the technical conditions that must be met before the start of the rental and those that must be maintained during the rental period as follows:


The property must meet the necessary fire regulations and have appropriate certificates.


Landlords are required to repair and maintain gas, electrical supply, water and sanitary installations.


Solve mold and moisture problems.


Carry out necessary repairs to the roof and plaster.


Maintain the internal and external structure of the rented property, including external pipes and drains.


Provide effective security.


Repair damaged central heating and wiring.

Please note that the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 also applies even if you do not have a rental agreement.

If you want to know more, please follow the link: LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

What are some examples of a house or apartment in poor condition?


Moisture and mold

A large number of cases of poor condition of the apartment is due to the fact that the owner has not dealt with mold and dampness in the property or has temporarily masked it. It is known that the fungi responsible for the blooms on the walls cause many health problems, especially among children and seniors. Is the landlord reluctant to get rid of mold and damp in the rented house or apartment? If so, don’t hesitate and seek compensation for any resulting health problems or other harm.

Pest problems

Did the state of construction force you to live with unwanted roommates – pests and vermin? No one should be forced to live with disease-carrying pests. The landlord is therefore responsible for keeping the property in a condition to protect your home from them and to carry out procedures to remove unwanted ‘tenants’ if they arise.

Gas or water leak

Are you experiencing persistent gas or water leaks? Gas and water leaks are a threat to your health and safety. They should be repaired immediately, and if the Council or Housing Association, as the landlord, has not done so, you must of course be entitled to compensation.

Structural problems

Structural flaws are ticking time bombs which, if ignored, lead to serious consequences as well as serious accidents. The owner (Council or Housing Association) is obliged to control the technical condition and structure of the building in order to prevent a possible tragedy. If you notice cracks in walls, ceilings or foundations, be sure to report these defects.

No or damaged central heating

Many Councili or Housing Association choose to put up the real estate market – apartments or houses with faulty central heating or, worse, without any heating source. It is the owner’s responsibility not only to install, but also to maintain and repair defective heating systems.

Broken door, window, fence or gate

Windows, doors, gates and fences are crucial to ensuring the safety of residents as well as their property. So, if the owner has not repaired damaged windows, doors or gates, it may endanger your family and its safety in the broad sense of the word. An unrepaired window may not only be the cause of injury, but also a potential opportunity for local thieves.

Remember that:

The Council or Housing Association (Owner) is responsible for providing you with appropriate and lawful housing.

The premises should be properly adapted, secured and in perfect technical condition before starting the rental.

However, if during the term of the contract unforeseen defects or damage to the property occur that were not caused by the tenant’s fault, the owner should take the necessary steps to carry out the necessary repairs.

Contact Us About Your Case